Fireworks Safety Tips


With fireworks now on sale in Blantyre shops on the run up to Bonfire night, we’ve decided to publish a handy guide on being safe and handling Fireworks. If not handled properly, fireworks can cause burns and eye injuries in kids and adults.

We hope Blantyre residents use fireworks only around Bonfire night (2 weeks away) and are mindful especially that pets and some people don’t like loud noises.

The best way to protect your family is obviously not to use any fireworks at home although we appreciate this activity can be fun for families. If possible, attend public fireworks displays (theres one in Cambuslang, at Hamilton Accies and at Strathclyde Park). Areas like Priory Bridge and Westcraigs with wide open spaces also often have smaller displays in areas where people congregate to watch.

If possible, leave the lighting of fireworks to the professionals. Here’s our fireworks safety tips:

Fireworks Safety Tips

  • Kids should never play with fireworks. Things like bangers, rockets, and sparklers are dangerous. If you give kids sparklers, make sure they keep them outside and away from the face, clothing, and hair. Sparklers can exceed boiling temperatures.
  • Buy only legal fireworks (legal fireworks have a label with the manufacturer’s name and directions; illegal ones are unlabeled), and store them in a cool, dry place.
  • Never try to make your own fireworks.
  • Always use fireworks outside and have a bucket of water and a hose nearby in case of accidents.
  • Steer clear of others setting off fireworks. They can backfire or shoot off in the wrong direction.
  • Never throw or point fireworks at someone, even as a joke.
  • Don’t hold fireworks in your hand or have any part of your body over them while lighting. Wear eye protection, and don’t carry fireworks in your pocket — the friction could set them off.
  • Point fireworks away from homes, and keep away from trees, wooden structures and flammable substances.
  • Light one firework at a time (not in glass or metal containers), and never relight a dud.
  • Don’t allow kids to pick up pieces of fireworks after an event. Some may still be ignited and can explode at any time.
  • Soak all fireworks in a bucket of water before throwing them in the trash can.
  • Think about pets. Animals have sensitive ears and can be very frightened or stressed by 5th November and other big celebrations. Keep pets indoors to reduce the risk that they’ll run loose or get injured.

If an Injury Happens

If a child is injured by fireworks, immediately go to a doctor or hospital.

If an eye injury happens:

  • Don’t let your child touch or rub it, as this may cause even more damage.
  • Don’t flush the eye out with water or try to put any ointment on it.
  • Cut out a circle of paper, place it around the eye to inhibit light, and get medical care right away — your child’s eyesight may depend on it.

If your child is burned:

  • Remove clothing immediately from the burned area.
  • Call your doctor immediately.

Fireworks are meant to be enjoyed, but we’ll all enjoy them much more knowing Blantyre families are safe.


Leave a Reply