First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon has today given a public address confirming Scotland will now enter Phase 2 in the easing of Covid Restrictions. A significant milestone in our collective journey and phased exit through this crisis.
At a daily briefing today, Thursday 18th June 2020 at 12.30, it was confirmed that further easing of restrictions will come into effect tomorrow. The announcements today mean more freedom of movement, lifting of certain existing rules and actions to get the economy moving.
The Key Points are as follows:
- People shielding can now go outdoors for outdoor exercise form today, news welcome to many people.
- Shielded people can take part in non contact activities and can meet people outdoors with 1 other household.
3. People should stay in their local area (broadly within 5 miles) as much as possible and should not travel further for leisure or recreation. However, travelling more than 5 miles is permitted if you’re seeing family. The 5 mile rule for recreation may be lifted on 15th July.
4. From tomorrow people from 1 household can meet with 2 other households outdoors. No more than 8 in a group.
5. Guidance is changed to permit going indoors briefly for say use of a toilet at others homes.
6. People living alone can form an extended household group with others.
From Monday 22nd June the following changes also take place
7. Dentists can re-open for urgent care only.
8. Places of worship can open for individual prayer only, not for communal worship.
9. Construction will ramp up.
From Monday 29th June, the following changes will take place.
10. A date for when shops selling non-essential goods can reopen..
11. Workers may allowed to return to factories, warehouses and laboratories.
12. Call centres will remain closed from now.
13. Outdoor markets can re-open
14. Zoos and garden attractions can re-open.
15. Restrictions on moving house will reopen.
16. Playgrounds and sports courts will be allowed to reopen
17. Professional sport will be able to resume
18. Marriages and civil ceremonies will restart, but outdoors and with limited numbers
19. Retail premises of ALL sizes can re-open. Shops will need to put in place social distancing measures.
20. Health services more generally will resume.
21. Postponed care and public services will scale up again.
The Scottish Government is required to review again in 3 weeks time (9th July 2020). All being well with public health data and a stabilisation of coivd infection, it could mean better news for remaining businesses and a further review of school plans.
Meantime, focus in Scotland should still be to stay home and away from others as much as possible, maintaining a safe 2m social distancing space.
As of 9am this morning, there has been 11 new cases confirmed. 929 patients in Scotland are in hospital with Covid with 23 in ICU. The R number is currently between 0.6 – 0.9 for the last 3 weeks. Progress is clear and substantial. Unfortunately though, there has been another 2 deaths in the last 24 hours. The total deaths in Scotland is 2,464.
Further details about what Phase 2 means are outlined in the Scottish Government’s Route map here:
Scotland is beating this virus….and it’s YOU thats helping get therefaster! #Phase2