House Fire Claims One Life

Sadly, it is now known that a man died in Saturday’s house fire at Iona Path, Blantyre.

Official statements by emergency services have confirmed the 44 year old man passed away because of the blaze. Three fire crews and an ambulance attended the scene promptly and firefighters recovered one person from the ground floor of the house, though he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The fire, which has left the residents shocked took hold on Saturday evening around dusk, causing considerable alarm in the immediate community. We deliberately chose not to post photos of the fire on the main page, despite many messages, and again in this post, thinking of this family, have avoided photos.

A senior officer for Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) commented, “We were alerted at 5.47pm on Saturday to reports of a dwelling fire on Iona Path, Blantyre. We mobilised three fire appliances to the scene, where crews extinguished a fire affecting the ground floor of the property.”

“Firefighters located and removed one male from inside the property who was treated by our crews and the Scottish Ambulance Service, however, he was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.”

“A joint fire investigation alongside our Police Scotland colleagues is now underway.”

We thank our readers for the respect shown in not posting further details on our pages over the weekend there. Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of the man and we extend an offer of support at this difficult time.


Leave a Reply