A famous hotel with a Blantyre connection has fallen into administration, with staff facing an uncertain future.
Mar Hall in Bishopton, Renfrewshire, is a five star establishment and category A listed building on the site of the former Erskine Hospital. Located on a 240-acre woodland estate, Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort is a five-star luxury hotel near Glasgow, employing 118 staff.
The property was built from locally quarried stone and when it opened in 1845 had cost its commissioner Major General Robert W Stuart, the 11th Lord Blantyre, £50k – nearly £5million in today’s money. When the Blantyre line died out in 1902 the house was left derelict, but with WWI raging it was re-opened in 1916 as the Princess Louise Scottish Hospital of Limbless Sailors and Soldiers.